Access Holdings Overview
Founded in 2013, Access Holdings (“Access”) is a Baltimore-based private investment firm with over $1 billion of Assets Under Management (“AUM”). Access makes direct investments in essential service-based businesses with enterprise values between $50 million - $1 billion. Access Holdings takes a research-based, thematic approach to investing, looking to acquire businesses in niche service industries that are positioned to outperform. Access seeks to create value over time through active management oversight and support of its portfolio company partners.
Access Holdings is seeking outstanding candidates for the Vice President (VP) or Principal of Strategy Role. The VP/Principal will work closely with investment team professionals in identifying, framing and analyzing potential investment theses and opportunities that fit within Access’ overall strategy. He/she will lead and oversee the investment research process, continuously identifying and examining potential trends, industries and investment ideas that may be worth pursuing. Additionally, the VP/Principal will engage directly with prospective investment opportunities and portfolio investments, cultivating relationships and developing/enabling value creation strategies.
Given Access’ integrated business model, the VP/Principal will work across all areas of the firm and be an integral part of the leadership team. In this role, he/she will identify and advance a variety of efforts that result in outstanding investment decisions and successful value creation post investment.
The position will be based in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Oversee and drive the firm’s investment opportunity and research process
- Manage a team of internal and external resources that are focused on researching, profiling and advancing new investment opportunities
- Frame potential investment ideas based on examination of key industry and market trends (e.g., “humanization of pets”), business models and demand drivers
- Provide strategic thought leadership on emerging “white space” opportunities and business models/businesses that are positioned to “win”
- Work closely with investment professionals to develop compelling business cases for specific investments
- Develop and enable critical value creation strategies in partnership with investment professionals and portfolio company executives
- Support the origination and pursuit of new deals
- Measure, track and report on the firm’s investment opportunity pipeline and results
- 5-10+ years of experience working in a top-tier strategy consulting firm or corporate development role within a business
- Proven experience analyzing markets and industries to understand future attractiveness and drivers of future value
- Experience with or exposure to product/solution innovation processes (e.g. idea generation, evaluation, etc.)
- Cross-industry experience in service-oriented businesses
- Private equity and/or M&A experience a plus
- Advanced academic degree preferred
- Competency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Low ego, consultative style with an ability to influence through use of data, analysis and experience
- High energy, intellectually curious thinker
- Strong problem solver with attention to detail
- Solid process orientation; knows how to move ideas into action
- Open and collaborative team player
- Professional and emotional maturity
- Organized and resourceful with an ability to get things done
- Effective in balancing need/use of data and analysis with desire for insights and action
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Comfortable working in a small team environment – willing to pitch in; no task too small
- A self-starter with a close attention to detail and a high level of initiative